Recently, the Trump Administration has decided to exit Afghanistan and Syria in a phased manner.
What caused the US Exit from Afghanistan?
1. US has spent around $800 billion till date in fighting the Jihadist in Afghanistan and has lost around 2400 soldiers. This has created resentment among the people of US as they feel that US has no business in Afghanistan.
2. US has helped Afghanistan to frame the Constitution in 2004, but that Constitution has failed to deliver as the institutions were weak and due to rampant corruption in the governance structure people have lost faith in this Constitution and governance structure.
3. Taliban and the Jihadist are in a stronger position as opium cultivation and trade has strengthened their economic position.
4. There are 34 national armies present in Afghanistan and due to the lack of coordination they have failed to deal with Taliban.
5. Afghan army and US army are in a long and inconclusive fight with the Talibanis since 2001.
What shall be India’s Approach?
During this whole struggle for power in Afghanistan, India never sided with any party instead it has focused on institution building like- the National Assembly of Afghanistan, Salma Dam Project etc. This step of India has garnered the faith of the Afghani people and it is very clear that Taliban will be an important player after the exit of US so India shall mellow down its stand vis-à-vis Taliban.