There is a growing trend of students coming to Delhi for the preparation of civil services exam from across the country primarily to take admission in a good coaching institute. There are a few areas known for the lantanic growth of IAS coaching institutes – like Mukherjee Nagar, Rajinder Nagar and Jia Sarai – which have gradually become what we call “IAS ghettos”.
However, when you come to Delhi for indulging in the tedious task of preparing for civil services examination, you must be aware of some dos and don’ts, especially related to your stay in the capital but also important from the examination point of view.
- Try to find a place close to the coaching centre you intend to join; the intention must be based on judicious evaluation on the basis of class notes and materials which are easily available; so that you don’t end up wasting much of your valuable time and energy commuting.
- Try to reside in an area where already IAS aspirants are in good number like earlier mentioned Mukherjee Nagar, Rajinder Nagar, etc. This is important as, being among the aspirants, you will be constantly reminded of your goal.
- Try to live in sharing with a partner (friend) as this will help you in cutting the cost of living which is already quite high in such areas and it will also help in stimulating your enthusiasm for rigorous studies by saving you from boredom.
- Try to make group with serious IAS aspirants to allow for exchange of ideas and opinions but make sure that the group meetings don’t get transformed into gossip hub.
- Though cheap dwelling is important but don’t emphasize too much on it especially if it is available far from the “IAS zones”.
- Form a group but don’t live in group. Living with too many aspirants might create a crowd rather than a productive group which will backfire in longer run.
- Don’t rush in to join any coaching. Judge on the basis of their performances, as advised by your peer group. However, don’t be a sheep and choose the coaching which suits your learning style and capacity. Don’t choose coaching centre merely on the basis of prices offered.
- Last but not the least, don’t fall prey to the glittering dreamy world of the national capital. Have some restraint otherwise you might gain nothing and lose yourself.